Maybe I really should be more embarrassed about this, but I don't mind telling you all that I am on the e-mail update list for anything that happens to be going on in the Empire of Trent. Generally speaking, it alerts me to when I can log on to (not) buy tickets that are sold out like, 3 BLOODY SECONDS after going on sale, or some such mularkey. This morning, however, I received the news that the soon-to-be-unleashed new single had begun airplay "on radio stations worldwide," and that I could hear (and see!) the entire song today at the world wide interbot HQ (it's the blue mess dated 3/17, if you're so inclined).
Needless to say, I high-tailed it straight on over.
Now, you should know that where HRH Trent Reznor's master works are concerned, I hesitate to appraise until the entire communique has been received; but right now, I feel an irresistable and compulsive need to mention the following observations for the entire world wide interbot to read (which should tell you, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that now might be a good time to consider reading ANY blog other than mine):
- There's something deeply stupid about rock music, and it's amazing how clearly that can be communicated in less than five minutes.
- It appears that this new single is a bit of a political number. Could it be that HRH has emerged from the black depths of his own dark soul only to be assaulted by the appalling fact that the world is fucked? AWESOME!
- HRH continues to work a very unfortunate hairstyle for all it's worth. In fact, it seems to be a pre-requisite for being allowed to be in his traveling roadshow band. Is it a contractual obligation that his hired hands fall in line? This whole thing reminds me of the time I begged my bike racing team to all grow mustaches. They refused. It seems Mr. Reznor's homies are all content to rock dyed-black curtain hair, however.
- The Rez has put on some pounds. The added bulk makes him look shorter, but also: meaty, delicious, and eminently capable of rocking ass. However, it seems the days of his pale, gothic beauty are over, and he's developed a bit of a thick neck. Maybe from all the headbanging?
- Despite all mitigating factors, he appears to still be Trent Reznor, and damn him to hell, I cannot resist. As ridiculous and heinous as it is, I must confess myself to being a total slave to his grind! ARGH!
Sad but true.
All of this begs two questions. First: how is it that this whole inability to resist the Nine Inch Nails tractor beam has lain dormant for so long (years, really), only to re-emerge with this re-emergence? I thought I was so OVER this shit! And, second: WHEN WILL I EVER GROW UP?